Tuesday, April 6, 2010

What is this blog about?

If you’re thinking ‘skin,’ well, you’re not wrong (obviously). I might carry that theory further and suggest that its birth is a reaction to opinions, anecdotes, comments in passing by colleagues (you know who you are), students, professors, and (not least) primetime television (if you don’t know what I’m talking about, YouTube “Seinfeld” or “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Dermatology”).


I’d like to, therefore, in part, dispel some of the myths about this superficial organ (the only thing superficial about it, is its relation to other organs – after all, how many other organs can you see in the mirror?), and hopefully muster *some* appreciation for what I think is one of the most important tools in expression, judgement, and ((gasp)) cultivating good health.


I might have to attribute part of my motivation in writing this to the film Julie & Julia. No, I don’t quite plan to choose a textbook about skin and blog about a different diagnosis every day until I’ve exhausted the contents (have you ever seen one of those books?! Good. Now buy it, and [if you have any money left], try to backpack with it through the Peruvian highlands). That might result in more posts than days I have left to live (no, I might not be exaggerating). I do, however, hope to give my readers some skinsight (pun intended) into my world of dermatology, and why it might actually be important, and even (be seated for this one) *intellectually challenging* (translation: interesting).

No comments:

Post a Comment